Outdoor Leaders will be responsible for ensuring the safety of campers as they participate in a wide range of camp activities including hiking, archery, arts and crafts, climbing wall, swimming, canoeing, and outdoor living skills. In addition to camp activities Outdoor Leaders will be the primary supervisor of campers through all daily activities including meal times, cabin time, overnight, and transitions between activities. Outdoor Leaders will also serve as role models and mentors to members of Outdoor Journeys’ Teen Academy. Outdoor Leaders will live on site with campers.
Through the supportive guidance of camp Outdoor Leaders, campers build their own unique community in which each member can experience a sense of belonging, connectedness, safety, acceptance and appreciation.
The key duties of the Resident Camp Outdoor Leader will be:
· Guide cabin groups of campers through full participation in all camp activities.
· Facilitate large and small group activities.
· Be a positive role model for campers.
· Monitor the health, well-being and safety of campers.
· Abide by and enforce camp policies.
· Punctual and prepared for training and when on duty.
· Communicate with campers, families and staff in a mature and professional manner at all times.
· Attend staff training.
· Maintain a clean camp and cabin area.
· Live on-site while camp is in session.
· Clean camp areas after programming.
· Keep campers safe at all times.
· Work with Camp Operations Manager for facility needs (housekeeping and maintenance).
· Attend Staff Meetings.
· Report directly to Unit Leader or designate.
· Other duties as assigned
· At least 18 years of age.
· Desire and ability to work with children in the outdoors.
· MUST have a positive “can do” attitude, patience, enthusiasm, and integrity.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and to be accountable.
· Ability to work with a wide-range of children, and staff members.
· The ability to take initiative and work both as a team and independently.
· Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and hike up to 5 miles.
· Current Red Cross First Aid & CPR preferred.
· Lifeguard certified preferred.
· Ability to pass background check and TB test