The Kitchen Assistant will demonstrate basic food preparation skill, adhere to high standards of cleanliness and maintain a can-do attitude. The Kitchen Assistant will support all aspects of meal preparation and clean-up. Working under the direct supervision of the Head Cook, the Kitchen Assistant will assist in the preparation, serving and clean-up of all camp meals.
The key duties of the Kitchen Assistant will be:
· Clean dishes, equipment and facilities with hard work and in demanding situations.
· Use math skills for scaling recipes, measuring, weighing, time and temperature conversions, estimating and controlling portions and tracking food used, consumed and wasted.
· Use and maintain commercial equipment.
· Demonstrate proper use and maintenance of knives, slicers, processors and other hand implements.
· Lift and carry 30lbs.
· Use visual and auditory senses to identify and respond to problems and hazards in the kitchen.
· Arrive ready to work on time.
· Maintain high standards of personal hygiene, grooming of hair, hands, finger nails, clean and appropriate clothing, shoes, hats, apron, and gloves, and a willingness to conform to strict dress codes and uniforms.
· A willingness to participate in a multi-day training and qualification program before starting work.
· Live on site during program delivery.
· Work hard and well under pressure.
· Demonstrate basic food preparation skills including use and maintenance of knives, hand implements and commercial kitchen equipment.
· A basic interest and knowledge of food, names, terminology and food nutrition.
· Engage in a multi-day staff training.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Report directly to Head Cook.