Head Lifeguard is responsible for participating in and providing lead supervision for Lifeguards monitoring activities at the Camp Nawakwa swimming pool and Jenks Lake. These duties include training staff in waterfront procedures, functioning as a Lifeguard in maintaining order, preventing accidents, rescuing swimmers in danger of drowning, assessing camper swimming skills and reporting pool maintenance needs to maintenance staff. The Head Lifeguard operates under the direct supervision of the Camp Program Director. The Head Lifeguard supervises staff when at waterfront facilities including instructions in pool operating procedures, rules, safety practices, maintenance, and related matters.
Through the supportive guidance of camp staff members, campers build their own unique community in which each member can experience a sense of belonging, connectedness, safety, acceptance and appreciation.
The key duties of the Head Lifeguard will be:
· Supervise participants including staff during aquatic activity time.
· Exhibit meticulous care and attention to technique when supervising waterfront areas.
· Maintain pool and activity equipment and area to ensure all aspects are safe for campers and staff to participate.
· Perform an inventory of supplies and equipment at the close of each camp session, report any needs to direct line supervisor.
· Establish and train staff in waterfront procedures for day-to-day and emergency situations.
· Monitor chemical levels in pool and record results. When necessary report any issues which need to be addressed immediately.
· Ensure aquatic areas are cleaned and properly closed down at the conclusion of each day.
· Support Outdoor Leaders and other staff in their supervision of campers.
· Facilitate large and small group activities.
· Be a positive role model for campers.
· Monitor the health, well-being and safety of campers.
· Abide by and enforce camp policies.
· Communicate with campers, families and staff in a mature and professional manner at all times.
· Attend staff training.
· Maintain a clean camp and activity area.
· Live on-site while camp is in session.
· Clean camp areas after programming.
· Keep campers safe at all time.
· Work with Camp Operations Manager for facility needs (housekeeping and maintenance).
· Attend Staff Meetings.
· Other duties as assigned.