Outdoor Journeys is a non-profit youth development organization, which operates a residential camp program, Camp Nawakwa, near Angelus Oaks California. Outdoor Journeys is looking for a motivated individual with a passion for working with youth to serve as Camp Nurse.
The Camp Nurse/Health Supervisor shall support the mission of Outdoor Journeys Camp Nawakwa in the delivery of the camp experience. All summer programs are hands-on and outdoor based. The Camp Nurse/Health Supervisor will monitor the health and safety of campers as they participate in a wide range of camp activities including hiking, archery, arts and crafts, climbing wall, swimming, canoeing, and outdoor living skills. The Camp Nurse/Health Supervisor is responsible for coordinating the dispensing of medication to campers and staff. Nursing care consists of evaluating and treating camper's minor injuries and illnesses; keeping a log of Health Center visits; giving supportive advice to counselors and other camp staff, if requested; and identifying health problems serious enough to require a physician's attention.
Through the supportive guidance of camp staff members, campers build their own unique community in which each member can experience a sense of belonging, connectedness, safety, acceptance and appreciation.
The Candidate shall understand that he/she is an employee of Outdoor Journeys and shall conduct himself/herself as an ambassador of the organization.
The key duties of the Camp Nurse will be:
· Ensure each staff members and campers have current health history and examination forms on file.
· Be the designated on call medical first responder, while Camp is in session
· Establish system for health screening for arriving campers and staff.
· Respond to medical and Camp emergency situations.
· Inventory of medical supplies and report needs for ordering supplies.
· Establish and follow appropriate medical routines including dispensing medications, record keeping of daily medical log, managing and securing medications, applying Camp medical procedures.
· Coordinate coverage of the infirmary.
· Stock and issue first aid kits.
· Participate and lead specific areas of staff training.
· Maintain accident/incident reports.
· Ensure that all medical procedures and operation of the health center meets, Local, State and ACA requirements.
· Monitor health of all staff and campers.
· Monitor/evaluate camp procedures, facilities, and conditions to maintain healthful camp environment.
· Inform staff of camper health needs prior to the beginning of each session.
· Abide by and enforce camp policies.
· Communicate with campers, families and staff in a mature and professional manner at all times.
· Attend Leadership training and staff training.
· Maintain a clean camp and activity area.
· Live on-site while camp is in session.
· Clean camp areas after programming.
· Be a positive role model for campers.
· Work with Camp Operations Manager for facility needs (housekeeping and maintenance).
· Attend Staff Meetings.
· Be an active member of the Camp Leadership team.
· Other duties as assigned.
· At least 18 years of age.
· Must possess either a valid M.D. or R.N. or L.P.N. or Paramedic or EMT or Wilderness First Responder certificate.
· Current Red Cross First Aid & CPR.
· Read and implement prescriptions and health forms from physicians, observe and assess sanitation and safety of camp facilities.
· Desire and ability to work with children in the outdoors
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and to be accountable.
· MUST have a positive "can do" attitude, patience, enthusiasm, and integrity.
· Ability to work with a wide-range of children and staff members.
· The ability to take initiative and work both as a team and independently.
· Ability to lift up to 20 pounds and hike up to 3 miles.
· Ability to pass background check & TB test.