Full Time Camp Director
Full Time Exempt Position
Salary $62K to $68K, benefits and on site housing during the summer months.
4650 Jenks Lake Road East, Angelus Oaks CA 92305
Outdoor Journeys (OJ) was founded in 2014 to serve as a grassroots organization with a key focus to reconnect youth and communities back to the natural world.
OJ is a dynamic and forward thinking organization. It is looking to scale its programs from local to regional by using its camp facility, Camp Nawakwa, as the foundation stone for all program/curriculum development.
The CEO/Founder of Outdoor Journeys is a 28 year veteran of the camping industry and is looking for a like minded individual to oversee all aspects managing our resident camp facility. We are looking for someone to create opportunities through innovated programing that will inspire 21st Century youth, families and communities to ‘plug back in to nature’. This position is a fantastic opportunity for the right person who has both the vision and the skill set to turn concepts into reality.
The individual who we are looking for needs to have the ability to adapt to a highly evolving organization and has experience managing and delivering outdoor recreational and education programs at a residential facility. This position represents the rapid growth of Outdoor Journeys since being formed.
The Camp Director shall support the mission of OJ in all areas of camp program delivery and operations. This also includes leading all other areas of OJ community services, day camp, teen programs, marketing, registration, housekeeping, grounds & facility maintenance, and administrative. While providing the highest level of hospitality and customer service, the candidate shall understand that he/she is an employee of OJ and shall conduct himself/herself as an ambassador of the organization.
The qualified candidate shall have competence in all areas of program management, delivery, maintenance oversight, budget and food service. He/she will be directly responsible for ensuring attending participants outcomes are addressed, securing new business, management of all Camp Nawakwa and Camp Blue Sky directly delivered programs, including summer, weekend, adventure, arts, family, day and any off site programs. The role will include supervision of all camp programs, food service, and maintenance staff. The desired candidate will work closely with staff from our Upland office and our Camp Fire Inland Southern California partners.
While programs are in operation the successful candidate will be based out of Camp Nawakwa, near Angelus Oaks, California. During other times of the year, the successful candidate would be based out of the Upland office. Some weekend and evening work will be a requirement of the position, as well as supporting the facility during the regular work week. Within the next 18 months we intend to have year round on site housing for the Camp Director position.
The CEO would directly supervise the Camp Director. Send resume, completed assessment questions and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The key duties of the Camp Director will be:
· Work with staff team members to continue growth of OJ programs·
· Management of assigned budgets
· Oversee all residential programs and operations
· Seek out new business both rental groups and individual campers
· Work with group leaders, camp staff & parents to ensure all residential based programs run smoothly
· Take leadership role in booking and acquiring new business for all camp programs
· Connect with groups and other entities to determine contracted details of their program
· Participate in grant writing
· Facilitate staff trainings/weekly meetings
· Oversee inventory of all supplies
· Responsibility for all program scheduling, including staff & cabin assignments and organizing transportation
· Oversee foodservice staff to ensure that all on and off site meals have been scheduled
· Work with the BFCA to ensure that all issues/protocols regarding Jenks Lake are adhered to and that when reservations are required, this is accomplished
· Responsible for organizing program assessments, evaluations and other assorted paperwork
· Develop innovative curriculum/programing
· Coordinate logistics with group leaders before program, facilitate participant meetings, and when necessary visit off site group locations
· Coordinate opening and closing days for any and all Camp sessions
· Manage all camp program, cabin, food service and maintenance staff, while empowering them to excel in delivering excellent customer service
· Ensure all programs and food service meet local, State and American Camp Association requirements
· Ensure cleanliness of all food preparation areas and that all stocks of food and kitchen supplies are adequately maintained
· Take Lead role in hiring all program, cabin, food service and maintenance staff and ensuring all new employee paperwork has been completed in line with OJ polices & procedures, in a timely manner.
· Work with the Health Supervisor to ensure that a uniform delivery of service is achieved
· Direct and lead the Facility and Maintenance Director for facility needs (housekeeping and maintenance)
· Work with any assigned volunteers or volunteer groups
· Support Camp with arranging and attending community and public relations events
· Take a lead role with marketing duties as needed
· Work with an acquire AmeriCorps Team yearly
· Support social media activities
· Assist in updating website when required
· Support OJ fundraising activities, and when necessary facilitate V.I.P. tours and events
· Cover camp walk through duties both during season and off-season
· Work with weekend groups both in delivering program and with self-catering groups
· On call responsibilities as assigned, which may require staying overnight on site, which includes weekends and during the week
· Submitting regular status reports
· Other duties as assigned
The Camp Director will directly supervise the full time Program Director and Maintenance Director, as well as the seasonal Head Cook, Program Coordinator, Adventure Director, Day Camp Program Director, Health Supervisor and the Male & Female Unit Leaders.
The ability to take the initiative, think entrepreneurially, and work independently
3-4 years experience managing staff, directing outdoor programs and maintenance
Bachelors in the environmental/recreation field or other relevant field or equivalent life experience
Ability to manage multiple tasks and to be accountable to weekly deliverables
Exceedingly professional in all contacts with staff and the community
Ability to work with a wide-range of youth, adults, community members, and other staff members
Current California SafeServ certificate or acquired within first six months of employment
Positive attitude, strong work ethic, team player
Ability to pass background check & TB test.
Current Red Cross First Aid & CPR or acquired within first six months of employment.
Ability to think creatively to problem solve and develop new programs
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and hike up to 7 miles per day
Current lifeguard certification preferred.
Current Wilderness First Responder or acquired in first twelve months of employment.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Dynamic work environment
- Competitive Salary (Salary depending on experience)
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
- Professional development